Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day 1 - Introduce yourself

Shall I do my typical “30-second pitch” when I network?

Hi, Vincent Chao; sophomore at Boston College Carroll School of Management studying finance and math. I’m an incredibly hard worker trying to find my way into the competitive industry of investment banking. Along with ambition and desire, I believe I possess the skills and stamina to succeed in such a tough position. I wake up every morning seeking new challenges, and it is these challenges that drives me to put forward nothing but my best effort.

…anyway. I don’t really say that to people. Just something along those lines.

What else is there to say about myself that people do not already know? I literally like to put myself in the  worst position possible and find a way to get out of it. You know that labyrinth story with the Greek god (or …man?) used string to help guide him out? I would probably have purposely not used string just to see if I can get out on my own. It digs me into holes every once in a while, but each failure is a learning experience for me.

Speaking of getting out on my own... I’m a fairly independent person. I never expect much out of other people, at least in terms of needing someone to bail me out. To me, asking for help is shameful and will only do so if absolutely necessary. As such, it annoys me a lot when people expect things of me. I expect that you have already tried everything in your power to figure a problem out before asking me, or anyone else for that matter, for help. Also, I am a very fair person. If I request something of you, I will absolutely without a doubt return a favor of equal value. The same holds true the other way around.

Being at college has helped me to discover my independence. When I got to college, I came to realize that almost everyone travel in packs. Want to eat? Must find eight other people to eat with. Going to class? Text to world to see who is traveling towards the same area. It goes on and on with the scenarios. I came to realize the absurdity of this and how time consuming being a part of a pack is. Not to mention, relying on others tends to lead to disappointment. I’d rather decide my own fate and make my own decisions. And thus my independence from society was born.

People can easily describe me as antisocial or a loner. I don’t blame them. I enjoy spending a lot of time alone and doing my own thing. It’s much more liberating and less restricting. But don’t get me wrong. I very much enjoy the company of those I care about. Being with people I care about is using my time with purpose. There are those with whom spending time feels simply like a waste of my time and there are those with whom time spent feels productive. That’s how I distinguish who I care about and who I don’t care about.

So what do I do with all this time I save by separating productive social encounters and wasteful ones? I’m a self-diagnosed workaholic. I love learning and the best way to learn is to dedicate time towards it. Also, my OCD-ness and perfectionism force me to get every detail as correct as possible, and thus taking quite a bit of time. I’m never satisfied with “just getting it done.” If it’s getting done, it’s getting done right.

One last comment. Even though I absolutely love playing tennis, baseball is probably my favorite sport. The reason for this is that I love the statistics involved with everything in the sport. Everything is based on numbers and while, as Sterling always says, “it’s impossible to predict baseball” (which is true in that you do not know when what event is going to happen), it is a game that can almost be modeled using these numbers. Tennis on the other hand is less entertaining to watch, but is definitely more fun (for me) to play as it involves finding a way to not only outplay your opponent physically, but to outthink your opponent strategically.

And with that, I shall conclude my “introduction” about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment